Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 4 hours
- 2 pounds diced pork
- 4 ajíces dulces (small sweet peppers)
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablesoons recaito
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon adobo
- 1 tablespoons oregano (dry flakes)
- 1 bay leaf
- MASA DOUGH
- 4 pounds yautía
- 6 green bananas
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- achiote oil
- 40 banana leaves (cut into approx. 10 in X 5 in rectangles)
- 20 Pieces parchment paper (cut into approx. 8 in X 4 in rectangles)
- 20 Pieces of kitchen string (Cut into 18 inch. lengths)
3. Cook until the pork is no longer pink inside.
4. Set aside and let cool.
PART 2 – MAKE THE MASA DOUGH
1. In a large bowl, peel and grate the yautíaand the green bananas together.
2. Stir in the salt and enough achiote oilto moisten the dough and add a little color. You are now ready to assemble and wrap the pasteles.
PART 3 – WRAP THE PASTELES
1. Set the dough aside and prepare a work surface to assemble and wrap the pasteles. If you have friends helping you, set up an assembly line.
Set aside the pasteles you are going to eat right away. You can freeze the rest.
PART 4 – COOK THE PASTELES
1. Bring a stock pot of salted water to a boil. There should be enough water to cover the pasteles.
2. Boil the pasteles for 1 hour.
3. Unwrap the pasteles before serving.
Serves: Makes about 20 pasteles.
Popularity: 1% [?]